Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Downward spiral for menswear?

Whenever I am seeking fashion inspiration, I almost always resort to taking influence from menswear as opposed to womenswear. I believe my fascination stemmed from watching endless documentaries of Hendrix and from then onwards, I vowed to myself that I would one day own a wardrobe similar to his. The experimentation of different fabrics, patterns and vibrant colours is visually exciting. This is something which I believe is absent in menswear today. It feels like it has taken a step backwards to a disappointing and incredibly dull level and desperately needs rejuvenating.

Designers seem to be lacking experimental initiative and as a result there is limited variety available. Most importantly for me, the designers are neglecting the importance of fit. Past experience in retail has made me completely adverse to the standard fittings of ‘regular’ sized clothes or as I like to call it, ‘the box fit’. There should be an element of tailoring to even the simplest of designs for all shapes and sizes. Yet this is being ignored. Forecasting styles and then recycling the same old looks is extremely boring and predictable. Designers need to be more proactive; delving into past styles for ideas, interlinking them with modern demands and then adapting them accordingly. Menswear desperately needs revitalising and I believe that now is the time for ground-breaking change. Understandably there are other factors which I have not included and it is also easier said than done. However, it is certainly doable.   

Out of personal preference, I am naturally drawn to looks of the early 60s to late 70s. Below is Hendrix – a master of flamboyant jackets and waistcoats. Every outfit I have seen him in is a masterpiece in itself. Note the heavenly velvet waistcoat with gold embroidery, ooft.



My second icon is the one and only Eric Clapton. I ask myself, is there any woman who would not swoon over this fine gentleman?


The outfit above is absolutely immaculate with the perfect contrast of his trousers against the blue of his shirt. The snakeskin boots are also a glorious finishing touch. I do believe that if I ever stumbled across a man in similar attire to Clapton's, I would marry him on the spot.

That is all for now
X

No comments:

Post a Comment